Saturday, December 19, 2009

Well, Day One is Down.

Yesterday I had my first day of pre-transplant activity. Before we had to meet with the Financial Officer I ran up to James 2, which is where I did my chemotherapy. Some of the cookies, from the very successful cookie fundraiser, were donated to the wonderful staff. They were very appreciative of the "Thank You," plus it was nice to see them. They've become such a large part of my life, it's been a little odd not seeing them a couple times of week. Though, I'm not complaining about no longer having chemo.

From there, we met with the Financial Officer. Personally (and speaking for my parents) I wasn't really looking forward to this meeting, though it was not what we thought it would be. The woman we met with was very helpful and just wanted us to know what was out there for assistance and that my cancer would put me on the fast track for some of the things. She went as far as telling as eating options in the area, which I know exactly what I like as campus is my old stomping grounds! One "funny" thing we found out during this meeting is that many believe that the transplant is an "Elective" procedure. I beg to differ, but I understand the bureaucratic stuff. All in all the meeting went well and was not as stressful as I anticipated.

As this meeting ended, we went to James 11, which is the Outpatient Transplant floor. Once I am released from the hospital, this is where some of my appointments will take place. I was taken back to give blood, 17 vials, or so I thought. After giving blood I went back to the lobby with my parents only to feel a tap on my shoulder and the disappointing look on the face of the nurse. He had forgot to take one vial of blood, so I had to go be stuck one more time. Though I wasn't thrilled, really not a big deal. After waiting a little bit longer, the nurse came and got us to have an EKG done of my heart. Nothing like hearing, "Well it says normal." Now that's something I took for granted in the past. Without much break, it was then off to a chest x-ray, which took a total of about a minute and a half.

We then met with a nurse for an educational meeting about everything I could possibly want to know about the transplant. She gave me all the juicy details about the chemo I will receive in the hospital which by all accounts is some pretty serious stuff. I'm sure it'll stink, but I have to keep my eyes on the prize, getting out of there God willing in a remission. I'm at point right now where I just want remission, I understand this cancer comes back, but anytime without it, I will truly live my life to the fullest. I'm excited for this next step and ready to kick this thing's butt!

Clear Eyes ~ Full Hearts ~ CAN'T Lose

No comments:

Post a Comment