Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year, New Reflection

I have to say, I wasn't upset to see 2009 go. Our family had a rough year, though it wasn't all bad. My sister delivered my niece Samantha on May 6th, 7 weeks early. She had a rough go out it in the hospital that resulted in many tough days and nights for our family. I look back now and almost laugh, as she is quite rambunctious now-a-days. As a matter of fact we are babysitting her here now and she is throwing quite a fit (not unlike my sister's), though I don't think I'd trade it for the world. As if this wasn't enough time for our family to spend in the hospital a mere 2 months later I began my 7 week stay at the Cleveland Clinic. But, I don't want to spend this time reflecting and throwing a pity party for myself. We've had some good news the last week of 2009, with my transplant set to begin here in just 2 weeks and the latest testing showing no Multiple Myeloma in my body.

Though it's unfortunate, this entire situation has given me a new outlook and opinion on life. I had a tendency before to take things too seriously and I was a serious worrier. When I got sick and learned the prognosis I was facing, I began to think of just how precious life is. I don't want to ever feel as though I take any moment or person for granted ever again. I know how easily it can be done in the everyday hustle and bustle of life, but it's definitely a goal (or New Years resolution, when in Rome I guess). While I currently don't have Myeloma showing up in my body, I understand that this cancer always comes back. Some people get months free of the disease, others years. I certainly hope that I am in the latter group, but I understand each possibility. Everything is one day at a time. In the end, what else do we really have? I can remember before I was sick having plans for my life and how I thought it'd go. It always ended with my on a porch swing as an old man with my wife and white picket fence. I still believe with a little luck, that's how it will end. But, I know we don't all get that fairy tale ending. But we can all hope.

To get everyone up to speed on the medical stuff now, I received a great email on Wednesday from Doctor Benson. First and most importantly, my Bone Marrow Biopsy confirmed what Dr. Benson was thinking, there was no Myeloma present in my body. This is especially promising considering that my first biopsy (done in August) showed 70% Myeloma in my bone marrow. Thinking of that as a reality really scared me, but for now that number is a big fat zero. As the Doc said, I put the "smack down" on Myeloma. There was still some amyloid in my bone marrow, but this can take time to absorb into my body and there is a chance it won't respond, or at least as well as the cancer has so far. There was one concern, as my breathing test showed some abnormalities. Benson thought this may be due to some amyloid in my lungs, but wanted a CAT scan to be safe. I received an email that everything came back "normal" (no masses or tumors) and that it was indeed likely due to amyloid. While the amyloid is concerning because of it's effects on my organs, I am keeping a positive mindset and ready to kick butt in the transplant phase.

As of now, the schedule is set for everything. From the 7th-11th, I will be having Neupogen injections, which will stimulate the growth of bone marrow. Then on the 11th I will begin the harvesting phase. This will likely take 2 days, though I am going to try and be an overachiever and knock it out in one. Depending on when I am done harvesting, I will be admitted on either the 18th or 19th to begin my stay at The James. This will most likely be at least a couple of weeks. While I'm not looking forward to being at the hospital again, I'm ready for this next phase.

Thank you so much for all of the support these past couple of months, I truly believe that the thoughts and prayers have gotten me through this. God bless.


Clear Eyes ~ Full Hearts ~ CAN'T Lose

No comments:

Post a Comment